Eagle Archives, September 8, 1939: In Business For 44 Years, Furniture Dealer Dalton Retires | Story


DALTON – Albert H. Foster, Dean of Berkshire County Furniture Dealers, today announced he has sold his working interest in his store after 44 years in business. Mr Harry Rohan of Pittsfield has taken over the stock in Union Block quarters, effective immediately.

Mr. Foster will not completely sever his ties with the store, but will serve in an advisory capacity, as his successor has no previous experience in the furniture business.

The Foster name and fine furniture have been associated with Dalton for so long that they are practically synonymous.

It was in 1890, April 1st, to be exact, that Mr. Foster came to Dalton from Calais, Me., his native town. As a child, he had learned the trade of cabinetmaker.

Shortly after arriving here, he entered the service of the late Frank W. Strong, who ran a furniture, hardware, and plumbing business in the old Union Block.

In 1895, Mr. Foster purchased the furniture portion of the business, moving his stock from the ground floor to the second floor of the building. In February 1914, the block was destroyed by fire. Mr. Foster lost some of his stock, which was covered by insurance.

While the block was being rebuilt, Mr. Foster ran his business from his home, now located at 409 Main Street. When the building was completed in September 1914, he moved to the ground floor, where he had since ceased to operate.

Over his many years in business, Mr. Foster has stocked only the highest quality furniture. Its reputation for reliability attracted customers from out of town.

Mr. Foster has three sons. Stephen, who was an elite athlete at Dalton High School, is a statistician employed by the Norton Company of Worcester. He attended Cornell University and graduated from Houghton College of Mines, Houghton, Michigan.

George, a graduate of Clark University in Worcester, is a high school teacher in that city. Harry, a Cornell graduate, is a mechanical engineer employed by the Boardman Company of New York.

Mr. Foster’s wife died several years ago.

This story within a story is selected from the archives by Jeannie Maschino, The Berkshire Eagle.

Source link